Discussion: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 18 of 18  |  Show  posts at a time
simplifyyou
simplifyyou
Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 14 2010, 5:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 14 2010, 5:05 PM EDT
This will really test your knowledge! I have a set of these cocktail glasses that were my parents that have gold leafed autumn leaves on them. A friend came to my house and SWEARS that they have drank from them at the Drapers, she thinks in season one. Is this true? Can you tell me the season and episode if you remember them? I think she is wrong and we have a sizable bet on it and I figure YOU all are the experts in all things MM! Many thanks in advance Do you find this valuable?    
amy_c
amy_c
1. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 15 2010, 2:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 15 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
"This will really test your knowledge! I have a set of these cocktail glasses that were my parents that have gold leafed autumn leaves on them. A friend came to my house and SWEARS that they have drank from them at the Drapers, she thinks in season one. Is this true? Can you tell me the season and episode if you remember them? I think she is wrong and we have a sizable bet on it and I figure YOU all are the experts in all things MM! Many thanks in advance"
Yikes, I'm stumped! Anyone have an idea about these glasses? Maybe one of us needs to bust out some DVDs.
Do you find this valuable?    
MaXimillian10
MaXimillian10
2. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 16 2010, 4:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 16 2010, 4:28 AM EDT
It makes sense on the show, there;s a strong New England connection
and influence. Ken Cosgrove for example, is from Burlington
VT.

It's possible that those glasses, or very similar are
still in circulation.

M
amy_c
amy_c
3. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 16 2010, 9:08 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 16 2010, 9:08 AM EDT
A bit of Googling has turned up a TON of different retro glasses with a similar style. I would say you have something very, very similar if not the same. Looks like it was a common style for glasses at the time!

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/4-vintage-retro-libbey-gold-wheat-drinking-glasses

http://www.rubylane.com/item/357173-961367B/Two-Orange-leaf-retro-plastic

http://www.gonefunky.com/product/black-gold-tea-glasses-vintage-retro-50s-juice-hi-ball-drink-set-8

0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
simplifyyou
simplifyyou
4. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 16 2010, 10:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 16 2010, 10:27 AM EDT
I hope that the photo of MY glasses is where my face should be. Do you know if these specifc glass pattern is in MM? That is what the bet is and I think it is probaby something similiar like Amy found (fab stuff!) If any of you clever folk have any recollection that would be super, we don't have the DVD's of the first season but thought that you experts may know!! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
MaXimillian10
MaXimillian10
5. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 16 2010, 2:17 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 16 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
Anyone else notice the 66 ?
Ford Mustang (covertable) ?parked across the street,
when Don picks up the boxes at his
house ?

M

babystreat
6. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 17 2010, 4:48 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 17 2010, 4:48 PM EDT
season 3, episode 4 -- the arrangements. pretty sure it shows up in the scene where grandpa gene is trying to give bobby the helmet. don's using it. Do you find this valuable?    

babystreat
7. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 17 2010, 5:06 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 17 2010, 5:06 PM EDT
"season 3, episode 4 -- the arrangements. pretty sure it shows up in the scene where grandpa gene is trying to give bobby the helmet. don's using it. "
just checked. it's there (the highball version) and again in the scene at the kitchen table.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
simplifyyou
simplifyyou
8. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 18 2010, 6:44 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 18 2010, 6:44 AM EDT
Babystreat! Yes, I think Don was using it and there is a highball glass, Uh Oh, I think I may have lost a major bet.... Now I need to get the DVD out and check for sure. THANK YOU so much for your help!! Do you find this valuable?    

babystreat
9. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 18 2010, 8:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 18 2010, 8:27 AM EDT
"Babystreat! Yes, I think Don was using it and there is a highball glass, Uh Oh, I think I may have lost a major bet.... Now I need to get the DVD out and check for sure. THANK YOU so much for your help!!"
glad i could put my random mad men knowledge to good use.
hope you didn't wager TOO much! :)
amy_c
amy_c
10. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 18 2010, 4:52 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 18 2010, 4:52 PM EDT
Haha, that's amazing. Good work, detectives! :)

0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

jamblermm
11. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 25 2010, 4:24 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 25 2010, 4:24 PM EDT
simplifyyou,
You are right - the glass in the photo is the same style used in the Draper household. I have scads of these glasses in all sizes from martinis to tumblers, they were produced by Libbey in the mid-fifties. Sometimes the bar ware is called "Swanky Swig". I use the drinking glasses every day in honor of Mad Men.
donsnextwife
donsnextwife
12. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 27 2010, 7:11 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 27 2010, 7:11 PM EDT
We used to have them, too! My mother still has the ones with the bicycles on them that we got from the gas station. Anyone remember that??? And Green stamps? lol Do you find this valuable?    
donsnextwife
donsnextwife
13. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 27 2010, 7:13 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 27 2010, 7:13 PM EDT
"simplifyyou,
You are right - the glass in the photo is the same style used in the Draper household. I have scads of these glasses in all sizes from martinis to tumblers, they were produced by Libbey in the mid-fifties. Sometimes the bar ware is called "Swanky Swig". I use the drinking glasses every day in honor of Mad Men."
and do you have whiskey sours in them?

jamblermm
14. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 27 2010, 9:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 27 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
whiskey sours?

I have what could be called Manhattans - short, wide bar ware, frosted, real gold leaves and rims. I don't use them or put them in the dishwasher. If someone wanted a whiskey sour or a Manhattan I would use them at a party, maybe. I have maybe 30 of them. And about 16 martinis. Lots of Ice teas, tumblers and juice glasses - I use about half of them and the gold wears off after a couple of years. My daughter has the tumblers in a wire rack and cream and sugar in a rack. There is a decanter, and an ice bucket in the collection which she borrowed. We got most of them on ebay or estate sales. Over a period of about 10-12 years. But we don't collect stuff any more - no more room!

I noticed on Mad Men when Betty was on the wine binge, after Don left - that she had some bar ware that I'd never seen before.

jamblermm
15. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Sep 27 2010, 9:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 27 2010, 9:33 PM EDT
I just remembered that I used my pilsner beer glasses at a party once and have missed one ever since. A guest probably broke one and hid it or something - my favorite set! Do you find this valuable?    

christine428
16. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Jul 14 2012, 1:18 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 14 2012, 1:18 AM EDT
I was trying to look up these glasses also. I have the same exact ones passed down from my grandmother. About 20 or so of them
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

rsyeomans
17. RE: Finding the drinking glasses with autumn leaves printed in gold leaf?
Nov 14 2012, 5:00 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 14 2012, 5:00 AM EST
emptied mother-in- laws house this summer found these glasses, they ;re Jewel Tea by Libby glass co. . found out 10 oz . glass is worth $ 27.00 & 16oz glass is worth $45.00 . Jewel Tea was a company that sold stuff door to door , and there items are valuable a lot of bowls & other items made by Halls Company 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)