Discussion: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion ThreadReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 19 of 19  |  Show  posts at a time
amy_c
amy_c
Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 1 2010, 2:40 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 1 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
Let's discuss the episode here after it airs!

1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

mn_me
1. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 1 2010, 3:22 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 1 2010, 3:22 PM EDT
can't wait - and have the dvr set and ready to go Do you find this valuable?    
Greg1835
Greg1835
2. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 1 2010, 7:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 1 2010, 7:07 PM EDT
Nurse and Allison: Don going for the caretaker

Ok the nitty gritty: Don and his secretary Allison:

If you notice, earlier in the episode, Don made a play for the nurse. Didn't happen. Then, he could've easily made a play for the psychiatrist-type woman but didn't because she wanted in to him, not take care of him. In the end, he went for, and got, Allison, the secretary, who takes some care of him.

What's the common denominator with the nurse and the secretary? Two women who can take care of him. That's what it's about. That's what he went for. This is where Don Draper is now. That's the point of the episode, to me anyway.

Even though he gave Allison the next day sober boot, however immediately after the sex, did you see the tender touch he gave her after the sex? The face caress, the personal attention, the emtional attention from a man who is incapable of such? It's the contradiction that makes us men. You women have all been there.

I thought that was the key scene of the episode; not the sex but his touching her face afterward.

Again, no blonde, just like last week when it didn't work out with Jane's friend, and here instead he goes for the first brunette, the nurse, and gets the other brunette secretary Allison.

When Betty found the box last season, she said. "you wanted to get caught". Does Don cry out for things by action instead of words? Is Don crying out for something by going for caretaker girls here?

In the series premiere season1, when Peggy put her hand on his, he rejected it. He didn't need it. Does he need it now though? Obviously.

Was the emphasis on the kids this episiode metaphorical? Kids need a foundation, and so does Don right now?
Do you find this valuable?    
Greg1835
Greg1835
3. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 1 2010, 7:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 1 2010, 7:08 PM EDT
Don is grasping for something other than sex, but seeking that unknown however through what he knows, which leads to so much more mess. Not the first guy.

The last scene was terrific. Don leaving the office with Allison's "gifts", (cough, cough, metaphor) while she, the girl, is left with meaningless words the next morning you put in a drawer. Perfect metaphor.

What say you?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
amy_c
amy_c
4. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 1 2010, 9:21 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 1 2010, 9:21 PM EDT
I think you're spot on with him needing and wanting someone to take care of him. Perhaps it isn't just a Don thing, though. Men at that time were cared for at home as soon as they walked through the door, right? Even if Betty wasn't the warmest woman around, at least Carla had a warm dinner waiting.

I felt bad for the secretary, but what was she expecting? Don to marry her like Roger did with his gal Friday? I honestly thought she was typing up her resignation at the end until I saw next week's preview. Looks like she's still doe-eyed around him in next week's episode.

Oh! And I was curious if $100 would have been an offensively low Xmas bonus. According an online inflation calculator, she earned the 2010 equivalent of $684.32.

My favorite part of the episode was the Lucky Strikes bigwig having a little standoff with Roger about the Santa suit. Talk about tense!

Looks like (more) trouble in paradise next week for Joan. Do you think she and Roger will reunite?

basementtapes
5. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 2 2010, 3:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 2 2010, 3:10 AM EDT
The nurse neighbor told Don she needs to hurry up and hang the Xmas lights because of all the "accidents and suicides" that occur around Xmas. That comment wasn't there for nothing. Given Don's boorish treatment after his drunken seduction of his adoring secretary, my bet is that she will be the character who will kill herself in the near future. After that comment by the nurse, someone is bound to! Also remember Duck's advice to Peggy in the same episode about not having sex with someone you care about: "Don't do it or he won't respect you." Don made it abundantly clear that the sex with his secretary, if he could even remember it at all, was "business, not personal."

I think she may have been typing a suicide note we will see turn up eventually in the near future.

I don't think Joan will wind up with Roger. I think Roger is going to have another heart attack (remember the Maalox?) and become basically a sexual invalid who can't satisfy his young wife.

I think Joan (assuming her marriage ends somehow, which is a pretty safe assumption) will eventually wind up with Don. They really like each other. Every time people see them together, they comment what a gorgeous couple they are. Joan, like Don, is a scrapper who invented herself from nothing but hard work.
They're both gorgeous and they both really love sex. Joan is easily smart enough to keep up with Don, which he needs. And lastly, we have learned, especially through the divorce from Betty, that what Don really needs is for someone to love the REAL him, terrible past and all, support him and not judge him. Which is EXACTLY the kind of loving, accepting, supportive wife we've seen Joan be to her horrible doctor husband. Each has exactly the qualities the other needs to be happy.

I think it may take another couple of seasons, but Don and Joan are made for each other.

SamCookeFan1
6. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 2 2010, 8:02 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 2 2010, 8:02 AM EDT
I think the nurse scene was a direct lift from one of my favorite films, "The Best Years of Our Lives," where Theresa Wright "rescues," Dana Andrews, who, having returned from the war, cannot find his nightclub waitress wife, who has moved, so gets sloshed with her father, as she and her mom bring them home and put them to bed. Andrews sleeps in her canopy bed, where she removes his shoes and loosens his tie, before he tries to get fresh with her, but she good-naturedly plays it off ,and sojourns to the sofa. He ultimately falls in love with her.
The office party conga line was slightly lifted from billy Wilder's The Apartment, but I enjoyed how they were all acting for Lucky Strike, and the simpatico they showed for Sterling. His wife was fuming, while Pete's wife was fawning, which was a great contrast in character.
Sally and Gene will become hipsters who discover Hendrix, smoke a lot of weed and drop acid, as the 60s loom further onward. Betty and Dufus politico will divorce, and she will be the one to drink heavily, while Don will fall in love and marry again, probably to the young girl from last week, ceasing his drinking to just minimalist levels, unless he joins AA.
God I love this show! I wake up with migraines on Mondays from watching it three times, but I could never tire of these characters.
drapery
drapery
7. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 2 2010, 7:39 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 2 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
"I think the nurse scene was a direct lift from one of my favorite films, "The Best Years of Our Lives," where Theresa Wright "rescues," Dana Andrews, who, having returned from the war, cannot find his nightclub waitress wife, who has moved, so gets sloshed with her father, as she and her mom bring them home and put them to bed. Andrews sleeps in her canopy bed, where she removes his shoes and loosens his tie, before he tries to get fresh with her, but she good-naturedly plays it off ,and sojourns to the sofa. He ultimately falls in love with her.
The office party conga line was slightly lifted from billy Wilder's The Apartment, but I enjoyed how they were all acting for Lucky Strike, and the simpatico they showed for Sterling. His wife was fuming, while Pete's wife was fawning, which was a great contrast in character.
Sally and Gene will become hipsters who discover Hendrix, smoke a lot of weed and drop acid, as the 60s loom further onward. Betty and Dufus politico will divorce, and she will be the one to drink heavily, while Don will fall in love and marry again, probably to the young girl from last week, ceasing his drinking to just minimalist levels, unless he joins AA.
God I love this show! I wake up with migraines on Mondays from watching it three times, but I could never tire of these characters."
What about Bobby?
drapery
drapery
8. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 2 2010, 8:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 2 2010, 8:05 PM EDT
"Nurse and Allison: Don going for the caretaker

Ok the nitty gritty: Don and his secretary Allison:

If you notice, earlier in the episode, Don made a play for the nurse. Didn't happen. Then, he could've easily made a play for the psychiatrist-type woman but didn't because she wanted in to him, not take care of him. In the end, he went for, and got, Allison, the secretary, who takes some care of him.

What's the common denominator with the nurse and the secretary? Two women who can take care of him. That's what it's about. That's what he went for. This is where Don Draper is now. That's the point of the episode, to me anyway.

Even though he gave Allison the next day sober boot, however immediately after the sex, did you see the tender touch he gave her after the sex? The face caress, the personal attention, the emtional attention from a man who is incapable of such? It's the contradiction that makes us men. You women have all been there.

I thought that was the key scene of the episode; not the sex but his touching her face afterward.

Again, no blonde, just like last week when it didn't work out with Jane's friend, and here instead he goes for the first brunette, the nurse, and gets the other brunette secretary Allison.

When Betty found the box last season, she said. "you wanted to get caught". Does Don cry out for things by action instead of words? Is Don crying out for something by going for caretaker girls here?

In the series premiere season1, when Peggy put her hand on his, he rejected it. He didn't need it. Does he need it now though? Obviously.

Was the emphasis on the kids this episiode metaphorical? Kids need a foundation, and so does Don right now?"
Greg, I love that you noticed the face caress. After the act, when Alison is maybe hopeful but Don knows that it is already over, that tender touch seems to be a touch of consolation, an apology, or maybe even a longing for what Don hasn't the "freedom" to do (and by that I mean emotional as well as societal freedom--although if he had that, he might not have been there in the first place!).

But do you really think that that is the key scene of the episode? Or, do you just think that is the key moment of that particular scene? Because, for me, there is a hell of a lot of things going on in that episode!!! I'm not sure I'd call that the key scene, although it seemed important and I'm very impressed that a BOY even noticed it!! haha ;)

And yes, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. You? ;) I'm teasing. But I still believe that not all men are such contradictions, at least these days! I agree that many men over the age of, oh, let's say 30, struggle with emotional openness, but I have faith that many do not. I'm just modern that way! Or maybe I'm just an optimist. Or a fool!

Personally, I think the blonde motivational scientist lady has his (Don's) number. Can't wait to see if she makes more appearances!

SamCookeFan1
9. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 2 2010, 9:24 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 2 2010, 9:24 PM EDT
"What about Bobby? "
I think Bobby will become a jock who has learned to just shrug it off and go out and body slam guys on the gridiron . He seems like an oblivious and thus happy child, fitting a mold so often assigned to high school athletes, warranted or not. Of course, he could also mature and figure out his parents haven't done him justice--especially his mother--and then grow as angry as Sally, but i doubt it. His constitution is different. He could even enlist, oblivious to the dangers of war.
BevAnneS
BevAnneS
10. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 3 2010, 6:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 3 2010, 6:57 AM EDT
"Oh! And I was curious if $100 would have been an offensively low Xmas bonus. According an online inflation calculator, she earned the 2010 equivalent of $684.32.

"
As someone who was a secretary at an ad agency (D'Arcy in Chicago) 1960 to 1965, this would have been impressive. They did not give bonuses to secretaries and any Christmas gift came out of your boss' pocket, and it was never cash. If you got a gift worth $50 of early 60s money, you knew you had hit the big time.

That $100 "bonus" IMHO represented payment for services rendered.

SamCookeFan1
11. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 3 2010, 9:12 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 3 2010, 9:12 AM EDT
She had already been promised the bonus, so it was not for that, but judging from her expression, that is how she felt given the timing.Differentiate the intelligence of the secretary who thought his drunken advances meant something, and the nurse who knew better. It appears Weiner definately has an adroit opinion in so far as the approach to sex that educated women vs uneducated women employ. This is not to suggest that secretaries are stupid or naive, but perhaps their company loyalties clouded their better judgemtn. Do you find this valuable?    
Greg1835
Greg1835
12. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 4 2010, 10:23 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 4 2010, 10:23 AM EDT
So here Peggy is playing like she's a virgin with her boyfriend. Why is that? Is it Peggy having a past she wishes wasn't true, and has decided to eliminate form her mind, like Don? Are they giving us some sort of parallel with Don and Peggy? That whole thing was very interesting.

It's also interesting because twice now Don has had moments where in ep1 he called her I think hunny, and here at the party he called her sweetheart. I don't think it's the usual office parlance, he's never referred to anyone like that.

I do not think at all it's any foreshadowing of anything of any romantic nature whatsoever, but I think those 2 things maybe are leading to something. It's like they're using 2 different ways to connect these characters. Or is it just coincidence?
amy_c
amy_c
13. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 4 2010, 12:41 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 4 2010, 12:41 PM EDT
"So here Peggy is playing like she's a virgin with her boyfriend. Why is that? Is it Peggy having a past she wishes wasn't true, and has decided to eliminate form her mind, like Don? Are they giving us some sort of parallel with Don and Peggy? That whole thing was very interesting.

It's also interesting because twice now Don has had moments where in ep1 he called her I think hunny, and here at the party he called her sweetheart. I don't think it's the usual office parlance, he's never referred to anyone like that.

I do not think at all it's any foreshadowing of anything of any romantic nature whatsoever, but I think those 2 things maybe are leading to something. It's like they're using 2 different ways to connect these characters. Or is it just coincidence?"
I am wondering, too. At first, I thought that maybe she was afraid of getting pregnant again, but she was messing around with Duck so that can't be the case. (Unless he had a vasectomy? Doubt that was very common back then.)

A parallel with her and Don is very likely. She has a boyfriend because she feels she is supposed to have one. She seemed quite smug about having one with her at the party, especially in front of Pete.

I loved it when Don called her "sweetheart" at the party. He seemed very tender and sincere. And like you, I don't think it indicates any kind of romantic feelings.

He feels paternal with Peggy. He is her work mentor -- remember that conversation they had in last year's finale? The one where he said he'd spend the rest of his life trying to hire her for his new firm?

SamCookeFan1
14. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 4 2010, 2:56 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 4 2010, 2:56 PM EDT
"So here Peggy is playing like she's a virgin with her boyfriend. Why is that? Is it Peggy having a past she wishes wasn't true, and has decided to eliminate form her mind, like Don? Are they giving us some sort of parallel with Don and Peggy? That whole thing was very interesting.

I do not think at all it's any foreshadowing of anything of any romantic nature whatsoever, but I think those 2 things maybe are leading to something. It's like they're using 2 different ways to connect these characters. Or is it just coincidence?"
Girls-especially Catholic girls like Peggy-are expected to remain virgins until marriage, but this kid, quoting Swedish sociological articles he had been reading, wanted to be her first. He is obviously more enamored of her than she is of him; it won't last. She has her Helen Gurly Brown-like sights set on moving on up the ladder.
Don may feel paternal, but there seem to be no lines he won't cross,( e.g. Sally's teacher), so that is always a possibility. Still, I see them as kindred worker bees more than potemtial lovers.
Greg1835
Greg1835
15. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 5 2010, 5:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 5 2010, 5:33 PM EDT
Hey here's something else I was talking with someone about. When Freddy jokes about Roger's painting, feeling like he's going to get sucked in to that, it's the old guard of the Rogers and the Freddies vs the new guard and new times coming. And remember later Peggy yells at him calling him old fashioned.

It's really interesting thinking back to season 2, the younger workers were interested in taking a gander at Bert Cooper's painting. Remember Bert Cooper made it clear to Harry that he bought it for an investment over interest. And here this one doesn't register on Freddy's radar.
amy_c
amy_c
16. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 12 2010, 9:45 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
"Hey here's something else I was talking with someone about. When Freddy jokes about Roger's painting, feeling like he's going to get sucked in to that, it's the old guard of the Rogers and the Freddies vs the new guard and new times coming. And remember later Peggy yells at him calling him old fashioned."
I'd like to see more of this as the show progresses. Just think how dramatic the shift in style and thinking was in America during the mid-60s. Freddy better catch up fast.

BevAnneS
BevAnneS
17. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 12 2010, 11:43 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
"I'd like to see more of this as the show progresses. Just think how dramatic the shift in style and thinking was in America during the mid-60s. Freddy better catch up fast.

"
Totally out of the blue the other day, I got to thinking about Pond's advertising prior to the 60s. For some reason the phrase "she's engaged, she's lovely, she uses Ponds" came to mind. I did a little research, and guess what I found?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1945-Ponds-Shes-Engaged-Flying-Officer-Society-Ad-/200288046238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

So now we can see Freddie was going back to the 40s with his ideas!

amy_c
amy_c
18. RE: Episode 4.02 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" Discussion Thread
Aug 13 2010, 7:26 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 7:26 AM EDT
"Totally out of the blue the other day, I got to thinking about Pond's advertising prior to the 60s. For some reason the phrase "she's engaged, she's lovely, she uses Ponds" came to mind. I did a little research, and guess what I found?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1945-Ponds-Shes-Engaged-Flying-Officer-Society-Ad-/200288046238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

So now we can see Freddie was going back to the 40s with his ideas!

"
LOL! That's hilarious! I'm sure they do plenty of research for the show and dug that one up. Wow, he's 20 years behind?