Discussion: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion ThreadReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 18 of 18  |  Show  posts at a time
amy_c
amy_c
Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 25 2010, 12:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 25 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
Let's discuss the fourth season premiere of Mad Men here!

Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
andiebug2006
andiebug2006
1. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 25 2010, 4:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 25 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
Hello, to all on this site I joined earlier today . . .
Like all true maddicts I am literally on pins and needles until the fourth season premieres in about an hour . . . Right now, I only hope that this season can live up to all the expectations and won't fall flat because there is too much hype . . . I am 95% percent sure this will not be the case, but who knows? Afterall, Mad Men is without question the best written television show I've ever seen! Anyway, 55 mins. and counting . . .
andiebug2006
andiebug2006
2. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 25 2010, 6:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 25 2010, 6:12 PM EDT
WOW! I must say Matthew Weiner and the Mad Men cast did not disappoint--- Who knew that Madison Avenue 1964 is the Wild West and Don Draper is its John Wayne! When the beginning credits rolled across my television I was waiting while resting on pins and needles, and when the show faded into black I was tingling from being stuck by all of those pins and needles--I can't wait until next week--Wow! Do you find this valuable?    

jallenwood1
3. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 25 2010, 7:34 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 25 2010, 7:34 PM EDT
I just finished watching the premiere. Don has lost some lustre, and is angry and feeling lost in his f'd up personal life. But if he doesn't let it affect his work, he'll be fine. I think Don ended the show on the right path--paint the picture you want reflected back about you, and you will get the clients that want you. None of the prudes...

As for the office, it is a step up. It's obviously not 1963 anymore either. You can tell by the hair, the accesories, the furniture, and the art.

Poor Don. Reduced to paying for sex. Wow. I actually feel his pain--well, not that way.
I like how Peggy is more take charge too. BUt still has her Catholic girl charm..

I want to see the return of Sal, and for some reason, I liked the conflicted character of the preist who befriended Peggy.

setharmstrong
4. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 26 2010, 6:54 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 26 2010, 6:56 AM EDT
It was nice to see Don start to get it together again at the end of this episode. First he can't find his shine kit (don't you *hate* that?), then he's paying for sex.

Betty is the same as ever, a little girl still completely lost in the adult world but who has also lost whatever it was that occasionally made the viewer feel sympathy for her. She still doesn't seem to care much for her children. Henry is I think beginning to wonder if he's made the right move after all.

Roger, as usual, had a great line - one that really reminds us of what a charming pig he is.

The new office is an improvement. It kind of gives the impression of more energy and creativity. Even if they don't yet have a conference table.

Peggy needs to watch out. In twenty years she'll be like one of those old, leather-faced, gravelly-voiced, chain-smoking battleaxes. She too seems a little lost. She still doesn't have the self-assurance that Don, Roger, and even Joan have. I guess Harry’s still a bit like that too. Don would never have come back from a business trip with a sunburn.

I'd say this episode lived up to the hype. I wasn't bored by any of it, and it left me not wanting to wait till next week.
amy_c
amy_c
5. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 26 2010, 9:20 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 26 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
Season premieres are usually a bit unsatisfactory because they are just setting up the year, but I really loved this one! Like Seth said, no boring aspects and it definitely whet my appetite.

Roger remains the most quotable character in the show. "...come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her." LOL! What a cad.

Don hiring a hooker was shocking enough, but the slapping! Geez, he really is lost. Betty remains to be the character I love to hate, mainly because she's so damn cold to her children. Poor Henry is about to quote GOB from Arrested Development and say, "I've made a huuuuge mistake."

I'm loving how desperate the new firm is and it will be fun watching them claw their way to the top again. That PR stunt was hilarious. The only thing I have to complain about is the episode was too light on Joan, but we're just getting started...

Will Don ever be happy? What does he want out of life?

DonOtto
6. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 26 2010, 12:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 26 2010, 12:32 PM EDT
Can someone fill me in on the timeline? Had company over and missed a bunch. What year is it? Did Don say at end that (after they were "fired") they started in a hotel room and 2 years later had 2 floors of Time-Life building.

If it is really two years later a lot doesnt make sense. The "baby" would not be a baby anymore, the relationship with Betty and her guy would not be looking so new and so temp looking. Kids would be older, would have table at the office.

If I heard that wrong any clue how long it has really been since last episode?
BevAnneS
BevAnneS
7. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 26 2010, 12:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 26 2010, 12:35 PM EDT
The premier lived up to my expectations. I was very impressed by how Peggy looked. No more of that little country girl look about her now.

I was kind of tickled to see that things aren't all that rosey in Bettyland. I loved when Don said "Believe me, everybody thinks this is temporary" to Betty and Francis. It was very similar to when he told Roger that everybody thought he was foolish. And I was pleased to see Polly back, even if she appears to be the bane of Francis' existence.

Roger was his usual obnoxious self (the Korean vet), but his line about "Order the chicken Kiev - it squirts everywhere" tickled me as I made that just a few weeks ago and my husband drenched himself with his first cut into it.

I think Francis' mother has insight, calling Betty a silly girl (or woman, I disremember which she called her) and she really let him know what she thought. An aside here and something only a woman would notice, I loved her Thanksgiving table setting with Jamestown Gold crystal and Old Country Roses dishes.

I would guess episode 2 will catch us up on Joan and Pete. Anyone have a guess as to who Mark is?

setharmstrong
8. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 26 2010, 2:15 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 26 2010, 2:20 PM EDT
"I think Francis' mother has insight, calling Betty a silly girl (or woman, I disremember which she called her) and she really let him know what she thought."
That dinner gave us insight into Henry too. Turns out that, unlike Don who is self-made, Henry is a bit like an older Pete Campbell. He wasn't exactly handed everything, but he comes from that world and didn't have to claw his way to the top. He's more like Betty than we'd been led to believe.

setharmstrong
9. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 26 2010, 2:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 29 2010, 5:44 AM EDT
"The only thing I have to complain about is the episode was too light on Joan, but we're just getting started..."
Hopefully they'll be doing a Joan episode soon.

quarterStar
10. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 26 2010, 5:59 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 26 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Except for the absence of Sal, this was an excellent opener ep. I especially enjoyed the dialog: every line was like the crack of a whip.

My favorite scene: poor Pete hopping about like a chicken trying to save the Jantzen account after Don sliced and diced its owner prudes.
amy_c
amy_c
11. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 28 2010, 5:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 28 2010, 5:49 PM EDT
"Can someone fill me in on the timeline? Had company over and missed a bunch. What year is it? Did Don say at end that (after they were "fired") they started in a hotel room and 2 years later had 2 floors of Time-Life building.
"
It has been just shy of a year since the end of last season. We just saw Thanksgiving 1964 and the "second floor" thing is just something they are telling clients so they don't look so pathetic, I think.

amy_c
amy_c
12. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 28 2010, 5:51 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 28 2010, 5:51 PM EDT
"Except for the absence of Sal, this was an excellent opener ep. I especially enjoyed the dialog: every line was like the crack of a whip.

My favorite scene: poor Pete hopping about like a chicken trying to save the Jantzen account after Don sliced and diced its owner prudes."
Pete is hilarious. Sometimes I really can't tell if he's being sincere with people or just a polished, blue-blooded kiss ass. I think my favorite part was seeing them sweep through the new office at the beginning and the swinging music that kicks in at the end when Don gets his groove back.

imawriter
13. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 29 2010, 9:53 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 29 2010, 9:53 AM EDT
If you're talking about the fellow who went to Don's apartment with Peggy and said he was her fiance - i- - is he the fellow she met and bedded last season who is a good bit younger than she is? Do you find this valuable?    
BevAnneS
BevAnneS
14. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 29 2010, 10:37 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 29 2010, 10:37 AM EDT
"If you're talking about the fellow who went to Don's apartment with Peggy and said he was her fiance - i- - is he the fellow she met and bedded last season who is a good bit younger than she is?"
That thought crossed my head. Have to go back and have a look at that episode.

1957girl
15. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Jul 29 2010, 11:58 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 29 2010, 11:58 AM EDT
I disagree about Betty--I think that seeing her lost in an adult world is wrong. That was the era--women were mothers and housewives --for the most part-at home. I know my own mother was. I feel sorry for her--and her children and wish Don would get his butt kicked!! 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

JbuckTaco
16. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Aug 28 2011, 1:28 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 28 2011, 1:28 AM EDT
Hi there, want to help me land a walk on role on Mad Men? Please vote for me at the following link http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/3f360e4f604461ebbdccbcee54a7468bba097a98 thanks!!!! Jim

sensiblesometimes
17. RE: Episode 4.01 - "Public Relations" Discussion Thread
Dec 15 2012, 3:35 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 15 2012, 3:42 PM EST
I don't feel sorry for Betty she is nothing but a self righteous closet tramp. She paints herself as a victim when in fact she not. Anybody unfortunate to associated with her becomes the victim as her new hubby will find all too soon. I feel sorry for her children and she did Don a favor by forcing the divorce. What I really want to know is why haven't her treacherous ass moved out of Don's house? Do you find this valuable?