Discussion: Sal coming back?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 8 posts
Green-Arrow
Green-Arrow
Sal coming back?
Oct 21 2009, 8:05 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 21 2009, 8:05 AM EDT
Interesting that the actor doesn't seem to know Sal's fate. That would suggest that we won't see Sal again this season, since they've already finished filming. Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
amy_c
amy_c
1. RE: Sal coming back?
Oct 21 2009, 7:09 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 21 2009, 7:09 PM EDT
Ooh, good call. Either that or they made him sign a hell of a non-disclosure agreement! But yeah, he seemed to be almost begging for his job back, talking about how great it is to work there.

We haven't had nearly enough Joan or Sal this season!

Do you find this valuable?    
AudriusVilnius
AudriusVilnius
2. RE: Sal coming back?
Oct 22 2009, 4:01 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 22 2009, 4:09 AM EDT
"That last scene between Don and Sal was so telling.

- Heartbreaking. Look what it said about Don. A lot of people were like, "Oh my God, Don." Even through his philandering and everything, they want to love Don. It was like a sucker punch."

I can't believe people, including actors themselves, are still escalating this episode. I don't think we want to love Don, we hate to love him...

But are any of the other characters better? Take Sal... He's singing Bye Bye Birdie to his wife in their bedroom and flirting with Cosgrove in their living room. How is that less "Oh my God!" than "you people"?
Green-Arrow
Green-Arrow
3. RE: Sal coming back?
Oct 22 2009, 7:13 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 22 2009, 7:13 AM EDT
Sal very much wants to be a good husband to Kitty. The forces that are driving him away from that are beyond his control. (And to a great extent he has resisted and fought those impulses, at least up until this season.) And despite it all, Sal still values and respects those around him. He's a good colleague and a loyal person, and he places trust in others and cares about what they think of him. And I believe he does love his wife.

Don, on the other hand, has shown that his loyalties can be shifted by a stiff breeze. He trusts no one, his respect is fleeting, and he's as likely to turn on you as look at you. His only true loyalties so far seem limited to his children (and even that is debatable) and the former Mrs. Draper. When Don does share a moment of openness with a colleague (Sal, Joan, Peggy) it's notable only because it's so rare.

The core difference is, Sal is a character made tragic circumstance; Don is a character made tragic by his own shortcomings (in another reality, Sal could be happy; I think there is no such reality for Don).
AudriusVilnius
AudriusVilnius
4. RE: Sal coming back?
Oct 22 2009, 9:30 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 22 2009, 9:34 AM EDT
Maybe I tend to oversimplify my point due to my lack of the language knowledge, but to me Sal is as much of an prick as Don. One is confused, the other -- a cynic under fire. But if he was so selfish as you claim he is, I believe he'd take all his money and bugger off to a calmer environment with his Inamorata. (OK, he actually tried that once.)

Peggy is even more horrible parent, Sal -- equally awful husband (sorry, I just can't buy any arguments that could vindicate him), Joan the "supermarket check-out girl" girl... to me, any and all of them are equally flawed.

And don't get me wrong, I like all of them. In a way. In real life, though, I probably wouldn't speak to any of them.

Sorry if my text seems a bit nervous. There's room for both (or more) 'truths.'

AudriusVilnius
AudriusVilnius
5. RE: Sal coming back?
Oct 22 2009, 9:41 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 22 2009, 9:41 AM EDT
"The core difference is, Sal is a character made tragic circumstance; Don is a character made tragic by his own shortcomings (in another reality, Sal could be happy; I think there is no such reality for Don)."
Maybe you're right. But that reality is quite fine for the gay copywriter guy.

Don wanted the American Dream. He got it. He can't stand it.

amy_c
amy_c
6. RE: Sal coming back?
Oct 22 2009, 11:43 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 22 2009, 11:43 AM EDT
"Maybe I tend to oversimplify my point due to my lack of the language knowledge, but to me Sal is as much of an prick as Don. One is confused, the other -- a cynic under fire. But if he was so selfish as you claim he is, I believe he'd take all his money and bugger off to a calmer environment with his Inamorata. (OK, he actually tried that once.) "
I see what you mean, but I honestly sympathize with Sal more than philandering Don, Roger, etc. Times were very different in America then. It wasn't a matter of 'coming out of the closet' then. You just simply weren't supposed to be gay. He's probably been confused his entire life.

Presumably, he's from a traditional Italian-American family -- probably raised Catholic and taught that it was a vile sin to feel the way he does. He very possibly doesn't *want* to feel the way he does, but it's nature and he can't fight it.

I'm probably just repeating Green Arrow's sentiments from above, but I sympathize with both Sal and Kitty. Of all the dysfunctional couples on the show, I don't really see a villain here. Who can he 'come out' to? He'd be ostracized from everything and everyone he knows!

It's just sad for both parties because there will be no happy ending for this couple. Sal wants to be a good husband, but he simply can't be, and Kitty will never receive the romantic love from the man she adores. It's tragic!

AudriusVilnius
AudriusVilnius
7. RE: Sal coming back?
Oct 23 2009, 8:22 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 23 2009, 8:35 AM EDT
"Times were very different in America then. It wasn't a matter of 'coming out of the closet' then. You just simply weren't supposed to be gay. He's probably been confused his entire life.

Presumably, he's from a traditional Italian-American family -- probably raised Catholic and taught that it was a vile sin to feel the way he does. He very possibly doesn't *want* to feel the way he does, but it's nature and he can't fight it.

"
I know it's (largely) fiction, but nevertheless it offers us some alternatives....

Kurt, of 'foreign' descent, is openly homosexual and it caused no problems for him or people around him thus far.

I know it was hard. It probably still is -- in any country.

Anyway, great actor, great character (make it plural.)

I wonder could someone like Joan "taste" that Sal was probably gay during that kiss, acted in Paul's play?