Discussion: "If your husband ever finds out..."Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 11 of 11  |  Show  posts at a time
Green-Arrow
Green-Arrow
"If your husband ever finds out..."
Sep 29 2009, 3:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
Wow. I don't know if I'm more disturbed by the fact that this ad existed at all, or by the fact that the wife in the photo appears to be enjoying herself...

Somehow I don't think Draper would have OK'd this ad for publication. But he might very well have taken it home and posted in on the fridge.
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None

setharmstrong
1. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Sep 29 2009, 4:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2009, 4:51 PM EDT
Don probably would have signed off on it if he thought it effective. He wouldn't have been the least bit offended. There are many examples of what a douchebag he is, not least his many infideltiies. His treatment of Jimmy's wife when she tried to blackmail him makes 60s James Bond at his worst look like a gentleman.

I haven't heard of this company either, but that doesn't mean anything really. It doesn't mean their advertising wasn't effective.
amy_c
amy_c
2. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Sep 29 2009, 8:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2009, 8:00 PM EDT
"Don probably would have signed off on it if he thought it effective. He wouldn't have been the least bit offended. There are many examples of what a douchebag he is, not least his many infideltiies. His treatment of Jimmy's wife when she tried to blackmail him makes 60s James Bond at his worst look like a gentleman.

I haven't heard of this company either, but that doesn't mean anything really. It doesn't mean their advertising wasn't effective."
He's definitely a flawed character. It's kind of like watching The Sopranos - the protagonist is such a sleaze sometimes. In Tony Soprano's case, a *murderous* adulterer. God knows what Don has done in his past...

alexberg
alexberg
3. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Sep 30 2009, 6:38 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 6:38 AM EDT
I like to think this ad is intended to be playful and not abusive. Though, for the era, that thinking is sadly likely misguided.

I hope those two have a 'safe word.'
Green-Arrow
Green-Arrow
4. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Sep 30 2009, 7:31 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 7:31 AM EDT
But regardless of whether he find it personally offensive, would Don approve this ad if it came from Sterling Cooper's creative team?

I don't think so. Don is something of a genius who sets a very high bar, and his ideas tend toward those that provoke an emotional reaction/connection with people. Don't think this one would make the cut. I can see him squinting at the ad, taking a long drag on his cigarette, tossing the ad on his desk. "It doesn't make me think of coffee. It makes me wonder what my wife is up to."

Peggy, of course, would be mortified.
amy_c
amy_c
5. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Sep 30 2009, 11:16 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 11:16 AM EDT
"I like to think this ad is intended to be playful and not abusive. Though, for the era, that thinking is sadly likely misguided.

I hope those two have a 'safe word.'"
I agree, it's a misguided attempt at comedy. And while I don't think it's offensive in the sense that it's promoting domestic violence or anything, it's certainly patronizing.

Don might also say, "Women do the grocery shopping and are buying the coffee. Women won't be laughing at this ad..."

setharmstrong
6. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Sep 30 2009, 11:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 11:31 AM EDT
Remember that Don okayed that stupid Patio ad, when they all should have been able to tell it wouldn't work. Only Peggy saw that. Can't blame Sal. A straight man directing wouldn't have made it work either.

Don may be slipping. Someone juggling so many lies, I'd be surprised if he wasn't a bit preoccupied.

That said, it is a bit on the nose. Don usually likes to make a more subtle point (at least in advertising).

setharmstrong
7. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Sep 30 2009, 11:20 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 11:20 AM EDT
"He's definitely a flawed character. It's kind of like watching The Sopranos - the protagonist is such a sleaze sometimes. In Tony Soprano's case, a *murderous* adulterer. God knows what Don has done in his past...

"
He is definitely an interesting character. A complete douche one minute, a gentleman the next.
BevAnneS
BevAnneS
8. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Oct 2 2009, 3:03 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 2 2009, 3:03 PM EDT
Chase & Sandborn was a big name in coffee in Chicago years ago, but I have no idea if it's still around. I know it isn't here in the South. Do you find this valuable?    
amy_c
amy_c
9. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Oct 2 2009, 11:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 2 2009, 11:14 PM EDT
"Chase & Sandborn was a big name in coffee in Chicago years ago, but I have no idea if it's still around. I know it isn't here in the South."
Ah, maybe that's why I've never heard of it! Thanks for that, Bev. We sure don't have it here in Texas. Maybe it is still around...

setharmstrong
10. RE: "If your husband ever finds out..."
Oct 3 2009, 4:20 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 3 2009, 4:20 AM EDT
There's a Wikipedia entry. The company has been bought and sold many times since its founding in 1862 and is currently owned by Massimo Zanetti of Italy. Do you find this valuable?