written by Lisa Albert and Matthew Weiner
directed by Phil Abraham
|Don takes Betty on a business trip with him to see Connie Hilton in Rome. Meanwhile, Pete tries to help someone who lives in his building. |
|DAPPER DIALOGUE |
MEMORABLE MAD MEN QUOTES, ZINGERS & ONE-LINERS
- "You shouldn't be kissing boys. Boys kiss you." - Betty [to Sally]
- "New York in August? It's like a great big melting wax museum." -Ken
- "When you don't have any power, you have to delay things." - Betty
- "Moneypenny hasn't self-destructed, but it's only a matter of time." - Pete [catching Joan up on the office situation]
- "What do you like to drink? You're German, right? I can us some beer, or Riesling? Schnapps?" - Pete [trying to seduce his neighbor's German au pair]
- "You always get that guilty look on your face when you see little children." - Trudy
- "Every kiss with them after that is a shadow of that kiss." - Betty [explaining to Sally why first kisses are important]
|MAD MOMENTS |
MAD MEN REVELATIONS, SHOCKERS, DELIGHTS, & DECIDEDLY UN-PC ACTIVITIES
- Betty's mysterious new friend (and benefactor?) revealed his actual name and title: Henry Francis, Governor Rockefeller's Director of Public Relations and Research.
- ---Betty speaks fluent Italian.
- ---Don and Betty have fun pretending to be strangers at a sidewalk cafe in Rome.
- ---Joan reveals that Greg is now studying psychiatry.
- ---Joan is now working at Bonwit Teller as a temporary floor manager.
- ---Sally's anger and self-image issues mirror Betty's own neuroses to an increasingly alarming degree.
- So little is going on at Sterling Cooper during the vacation month of August, that the bored staffers are killing time by launching ketchup-filled water balloons across the office.
|EPISODE TRIVIA |
LITTLE-KNOWN FACTS & BEHIND-THE-SCENES TIDBITS
- Aside from one brief early scene in the nearly empty offices of Sterling Cooper (featuring a bored Pete, Ken, Paul, Harry, and Lois), none of the action takes place in the office.
- Peggy, Roger, Sal, Cooper, and Lane don't appear in this episode at all.
|THE DRAPER FILES |
WHAT DID WE LEARN ABOUT THE MYSTERIOUS DON DRAPER?
- In a playful scene in which Don "picks up" Betty at a sidewalk cafe in Rome (in front of two handsome young Italian men), we get a brief glimpse of what Don and Betty's early relationship might have been like.
|BOARD ROOM |
POUR YOURSELF A DRINK AND JOIN THE MEETING
- DISCUSSION THREAD
- DISCUSSION THREAD